View Single Post
Old August 31, 2014, 03:18 PM   #10
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Bart B,

Looks like we need to agree to disagree here, but --------

If you will read my post carefully, you will see I address the fact that some say that rifles shoot better with some degree of stock to barrel pressure, and if that is fact on a given rifle, fine. But ----- what happens when there is a change in conditions, the stock swells or shrinks, the temp is 13 degrees rather then 74 as it was when the rifle was sighted in or the load developed.

The point I try to make is that for a hunting rifle, consistency trumps groups.

If I am shooting some type of bench rest competition, I'll likely be allowed sighters so that adjustment can be made for the point of impact to which my rifle is shooting at that time/place.

However, sighters are not allowed in a hunting situation, and as said, consistency of the expected point of impact is much more important then shaving a 1/4" off the group.

That quarter inch won't be a factor one way or the other in taking a game animal, but an unexpected shift in P.O.I. of quite possibiliy some inches, high. low, right, left or a combination of any two could very well make a difference, especially at extended ranges.

Plenty of room for those whose boat is floated by a tightly bedded barrel/stock or a stock which supplies some degree of upward pressure to their barrel. To each his own and what gives them confidence in their equipment.

But personally I'll be better served knowing that NO outside force will be able to adversely affect my expected point of impact even at the sacrifice of a slightly larger group size.

However, I have yet to be forced to make that sacrifice.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Page generated in 0.03513 seconds with 8 queries