View Single Post
Old August 23, 2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Bennyfatsack

Rest on barrel or stock changes point of impact greatly

Hi, surely others have encounted this before, but for my self shooting for over 25 yrs only just encountered this scenario last week when sighting in a new el'cheapo mossberg .22 plinkster. Was sighting a new nikko sterling in on the rifle, sighted roughly at 40yrds, with a bipod,had average 1" to 1 1/2" group after 50 or so rounds, bit of cold wind picked up, and i was already happy enough with sighting so sat in car and rested barrel on mirror and continued shooting out the last of the ammo I bought with me, only to find my groups blew out to 3"+ and nearly on average 4" high???? Had me scratching my head, proceeded to inspect scope, rings, screws etc figured I must have bumped or hot scope when I hopped in the car, proceeded to resight to 4" high but still had loose groups, really getting annoyed now, opened car door and repositioned now resting stock on door sill, and bang what do you know 4" low and groups tightened up again, would not have thought so much difference in both accuracy and point of impact between resting on barrel or stock. Repeated this over and over and was doing same, would not have thought a .22 would have been affected so much. Anyone else encountered this problem or can explain, I figure it must flex the barrel or something to do with harmonics??

Page generated in 0.02703 seconds with 8 queries