View Single Post
Old December 19, 2001, 01:43 AM   #1
David Wile

Duplex Powder Loads

DUPLEX LOADS

MODERATOR INSERT--
This insert does not alter in any way member David Wile's post but I need to get this at the very top of this string. I will add comments toward the bottom.

The topic of this string is very controversial and HAZARDOUS. Mixing or blending of powders and/or "DUPLEXING" of powders in handloading is universally condemned in reputable loading manuals and references.
Occasionally, some magazine will publish an article with profuse cautions amounting to "DON'T TRY THIS YOUROWNSELF!!!"

I don't know how I missed reading this string until it was brought to my attention by another staff member. For now, I will resist the urge to wipe out this whole thread, because I believe the original question was posed in a sincere quest for information, and not in advocacy of actually DOING this ill-advised activity.

CAUTIONARY NOTE: NEITHER THE ADMINISTRATION NOR THE STAFF OF THE FIRING LINE TAKES ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYONE'S EXPERIMENTATION ALONG THESE LINES. DO NOT DO IT!

I now return you to Mr. Wile's original topic opener - - -

Thank you,
Johnny Guest
H&R Moderator

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hey folks,

I may have been reloading for a long time, but I have never mixed two different powders in one load, and that is what I understand is called a "duplex" load. This came up the other day when I was talking to someone about military surplus powders. I mentioned that I had tried WC-852, a slow ball powder, in my Marlin Cowboy 45-70 with a 405 gr cast bullet. I said that the powder did not seem to burn completely. In fact, after shooting a WC-852 load, the ejected round still contained a good bit of what appeared to be unburned powder granules, some of which would be deposited in the action and more would fall out with the ejected cartridge. There would also be a lot that obviously blew out the end of the barrel. Whether this was truly unburned powder or just burned powder residue, I am not sure, but I never noticed any when used in 30-06 loads.

The fellow with whom I was speaking suggested replacing seven or eight grains of the WC-852 with four or five grains of IMR 4198 to get a better burn from the WC-852. I seem to remember reading about duplex loads many years ago, but I never had any reason to use them, so the information seems to have spilled out of my memory banks. Does anyone have any experience in this area? I would like to reload some of the information back into my memory bank.

Thanks much,
Dave Wile

Last edited by Johnny Guest; December 21, 2001 at 11:56 PM.

Page generated in 0.02301 seconds with 8 queries