View Single Post
Old July 3, 2013, 06:30 PM   #78
jimbob86

Quote:
I've heard this argument before, but I have no recollection of such a thing happening with other civil rights. Can you provide an example?
There are none so blind as those with eyes that will not see .....

Right off the top of my head, IIRC, black men in the South had the right to vote after 1869 and full rights of Citizenship after 1868 ....... yet almost a century later had no political power and could not even eat in the same places as whites, under penalty of law, because their rights were whittled away a bit at a time, and they were discouraged from excercising them ..... the parallels between these two situations are as plain as day to me..... how are they not to you as well?

Blacks were at first discouraged from excercising their new rights by social pressure ..... sometimes by violent repression ...... after Reconstruction ended, laws chipped away at their rights a bit at a time...... until a black woman had to give up her seat to a white man, and that was thought of not only as right and proper, and to refuse to do so would get the black woman arrested for "Disturbing the Peace".

Excercise your Rights, People. Resist those who would discourage you at every turn. Make violation of your Rights as difficult and as Public as you can.

Page generated in 0.02185 seconds with 8 queries