View Single Post
Old May 22, 2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Enfielder

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I knew about the difference in Carcano ammo versus Swedish 6.5 mm, and apparently, only Hornady makes loaded cartridges in the right dimension for Carcanos. In asking about the removal of the barrel with the "faster" twist rifling, I was just wondering if this commercial sporterizer ruined or seriously diminished the accuracy of these fine old rifles. A number of commercial sporterizers doing this might have contributed to an undeserved reputation of inaccuracy. Also, I've been contemplating fabricating a taller front sight to better match sight picture with actual bullet impact. Soldering an extension or even an extension with an old familiar bead onto the front sight might eliminate the need for excessive "hold off", or more particularly, "hold under". Does anyone know who did this particular sporterizing, or did the largest number of sporterized Carcanos? I had heard that a company in Canada either imported the rifles and sporterized them, or bought and imported them already sporterized. Mine has had a lot of sanding done to the stock, but there is still evidence of termite damage near the bottom/side of the buttstock. Having been scarred and damaged myself from years of experience, I feel a kinship to this fine little rifle.

Page generated in 0.04166 seconds with 8 queries