View Single Post
Old April 3, 2012, 11:30 AM   #22
orangello

Just curiosity, but someone had mentioned running the sale through an FFL just in case the firearm had been illegally altered or was stolen; how would running the transaction through an FFL help that other than providing the authorities with an alternate suspect should the problem with the firearm be discovered by the authorities?

I mean, the FFL is only running a background check on the buyer, not the firearm, right? It is my understanding (after some really bland emails to/from the state AG and the batf) that only a LEO can run the firearm's numbers to see if it is stolen. The agent at batf recommended buying through an FFL in his email.

So, would the FFL simply document that the firearm was transferred, without inspection, from the buyer to the seller? Wouldn't a signed bill of sale do the same, as far as preventing purchase of a stolen/modified firearm? It seems to me the only thing the FFL check does is cost money, document a transfer, and insure that the buyer is not federally unfit to purchase a firearm at a FFL (and give some buyers an excuse to pass).

Each to his/her/its own.

Page generated in 0.03300 seconds with 8 queries