View Single Post
Old November 30, 2009, 09:55 AM   #23
stephen426

Quote:
This thread, like so many others, comes down to one thing: what YOU feel comfotable with. If you are fine carrying 5 rounds in a snubby, then that's great. If you don't feel comfortable with less than 2 17 round mags, then thats what you need to carry. No amount of statistics will change what you think is appropriate for your situation. If someone says you are carrying too much and you don't think you are, then what should you care? Is anyone here honestly going to change their carry set up based on what someone 5 states away whose face they will never see thinks? Even if only 4 rounds are fired in the average gunfight, you may not feel comfortable with less than 40. Do what you need to do to feel safe.
While I'm sure this is true, many of us are limited by what we can PRACTCALLY CARRY. I live in South Florida and concealing a weapon can be rather difficult with normal attire. I am also smaller in size than the average male 5'7" ~160 lbs. and that also has an effect on the size of gun I can conceal. My first gun was a Sig P228 which was impossible for me to conceal without a jacket. I ended up buying a Glock 26 which was a huge improvement, but was still a little bulky despite the smaller dimensions. I bought a Kahr MK9 for the smaller size, but the weight became and issue. I also had problems with the frame rusting from pocket carry. I hope I have found the perfect solution with my Kahr PM9. I pocket carry in a Desantis pocket holster and I usually carry my wallet in front of it. It is still a little bulky, but dark pleated pants make concealment pretty easy. I don't top off the mag after chambering the gun so I am at 6 shots (or 5+1). I heard it causes spring fatigue and possibly causes jams in some guns. I sometimes carry a spare mag (7 shot) in my back pocket, but not consistently. Do I feel 6 rounds of +P hollow points are enough? I certainly hope so, but it is not practical to carry much more than that.

Page generated in 0.02039 seconds with 8 queries