View Single Post
Old June 7, 2009, 10:03 PM   #23
Tucker 1371

Quote:
The percentage of actual active CCW permit holders is so small that they can't show a dent. I think there needs to be a heavy saturation of CCW holders in a large geographical area (say 1 in 3 citizens) to prove "an armed society would prove to be a polite society". Until then, a cause in crime level reduction will only be at an individual level.
+1, hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Quote:
Because if gun contol stops one crime, then gun control has, effectively, reduced crime.

The measurable effect might be small, but it exists.

WildithinkilikemyideabetterAlaska TM
I don't think that analogy is a good one, because it strips a right from the innocent. Allowing CCW does not deprive anyone of a right. I don't believe in blindly basing laws on statistics in either case.
Well, if one crime is stopped by gun control, and another is stopped by a CCW holder then both have effectively achieved the same thing, although one has achieved it with little inconvenience to the general population... can anyone tell me which one that is? The only thing to consider is which one achieves it to a greater extent. Still, the idea behind CCW is individual right to self defense, not crime reduction. Bottom line: statistics don't really mean didly.

You don't really like that idea better, do you WA? Just trying to prove a point right?
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe

Last edited by Tucker 1371; June 7, 2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Feeling guilty for copying WA and not doing it anymore

Page generated in 0.04277 seconds with 8 queries