View Single Post
Old May 22, 2011, 09:24 AM   #13
Wyosmith

It should be pointed out that the original 30 cal “short mags" were conceived to give higher performance in Military length Semi-Autos. In other words, it was a way to get higher velocity from a 308 length box magazine. The other bore sizes were adaptations of the 30 cal.
The concept works very well for that purpose.

But in bolt actions, short mags are a perfect answer to a non-existent problem.

If you want to get a hunting rifle in a 270 WSM and you want to use an auto, the Short mage is not a bad idea. Browning and Winchester have both made them, as has Benelli.
But if you are going to buy a traditional bolt action, I would advise to stick with the old standard 270 Winchester. It lacks nothing.

I have choreographed the 270 Winchester with a 26 inch barrels against the 270 Weatherby in the same length barrel and run both at the same chamber pressures. I was shocked to find that I was never able to get a full 100 FPS more speed from the Weatherby over the Winchester unless I loaded to higher pressures in one shell over the other. In fact, using heavy loads of powder with 130 grain bullets, there were 4 loads I tested in which the 270 Winchester was within 25 FPS of the Weatherby, and one load where the Winchester beat the Weatherby by 3 FPS

I would have to guess the 270 short mag is going to give similar results. It can give high velocity and shorten the pressure curve a bit over the 270 Winchester (hence it’s suitability for autos)
It may “beat” the standard 270, but not enough to make me spend extra money on the brass.

My opening is this;
Bolt action-----270 Winchester.
Auto….maybe 270 Short Mag……(maybe!)

Page generated in 0.02655 seconds with 8 queries