View Single Post
Old March 10, 2010, 05:48 PM   #10
KyJim

To the OP -- try shooting the +P with present springs and see how they work. As long as they are reliable, I wouldn't worry about it since you're not going to shoot a lot of this ammo.

Quote:
I'd simply put a recoil bushing on, purchase a set from brownells, they last longer than you think depending on how often your shooting, and have at it, prove the ammo you have selected and if your happy then your happy,
I think you are referring to shock buffers. Some use them on the range. However, NOBODY recommends them in a carry weapon in the event they decide to disintegrate and lock up the pistol. Unlikely, but why take that chance?

Quote:
The 1911 is too old of a handgun design to be able to handle +P ammo pressures. +P ammo did not exist when it was invented.
Echoing AZAK -- did you ever hear of 10mm being fired through the 1911 platform? Same design but just with different springs. The 10mm runs at pressures a LOT higher than .45 acp +P. Heck, 9mm and .38 Super run at higher pressures and they present no problem for the 1911 platform.

I also don't think +P ammo is necessary out of a five inch barrel. When you go below Commander size (4.25 inch barrel), then +P ammo begins to make sense. However, opinions vary.

Page generated in 0.02414 seconds with 8 queries