View Single Post
Old January 24, 2005, 02:06 PM   #13
Spencer

I have 2 experiences with this topic and know of a third:

I shot a big whitetail in the neck with a 20g & sent him tumbling. I hit him high on the back of his neck about half-way between his head and his shoulders. He was not dead; however completely immobilized. A second shot standing over him finished him off. He was pretty far off & at a full sprint, so I tried to lead him & give some room for the slug to drop; apparently he wasn’t as far away as I thought… Maybe a little buck fever, but I was like 15 years old at the time.

I also shot a doe in the neck with an arrow. She too dropped in her tracks; however she was killed immediately. I hit her just behind the jaw. I drew back expecting her to step out from the bush, but she heard my arrow draw against the bow & froze. I finally got tired of holding the bow back, so I took the only shot I had; It turned out to be a good one.

A friend of mine – and this is an absolutely true story – shot a mule deer in the head with a .22. To make a long story short, he grew up near Colorado Springs. His father purchased a piece of land about 1,000 feet above the city, built a house, and hunted in the area. The neighborhood grew, and eventually got to the point where it became very exclusive (gated, guarded, etc). Needless to say, that put the breaks on hunting in the area. His dad, however, is a hunter through and through. My buddy had a doe license & the season was coming to a close, so they went up the hill to shoot a deer. They brought a .22 because they wanted to avoid drawing any significant attention to themselves (7mm Mag wouldn’t have been a good choice in the case). My buddy cracked the doe in the head at about 75 yards & she dropped. They quickly loaded her in the back of the Suburban & headed back to the house for dressing & cleaning. The thing is that the deer wasn’t dead; it woke up in the back of the truck. Now picture this: these two are driving through this very exclusive neighborhood, they drive by a couple walking their dog, and the deer gets up inside the truck. My buddy jumps into the back of the truck & is trying to finish her off by banging her head against the wheel well – his dad casually says “hello” to the passing neighbors & continues down the road at an idols speed. Thank god for privacy glass.

I’m not sure what my point is, but the topic made me think of these three stories…

Page generated in 0.04687 seconds with 8 queries