View Single Post
Old June 7, 2000, 07:59 AM   #1
Rainbow Six

During firearms week in police academy we had an instructor that carried a Glock G17 9mm. He was the first person I ever saw shoot a pistol at 100 yards. He didn't use targets, he shot the 2" wide steel target post and would make it "clank" on at least 8 out of ten shots.

He let us have a go at the steel post with our pistols during a break and it didn't take long to start ringing the post fairly consistently with my Glock G22. I started shooting my Glock on the 100 yard range locally and found that the concentration required really helped me gain valuable trigger control with my pistol.

I know a Glock isn't target accurate at 100 yards and there are many pistols that would be more suited to this type shooting. I also know that, in reality, most handgun calibers would be very ineffective at that distance. However, the experience and trigger control was a definite plus for me and my 3-25 yard shooting improved big time.

Has anyone else tried 50-100 yard pistol shooting and found it to improve their shooting at combat distances? Just curious. If you haven't tried this, you should do it at least once.

With my Glock G22 and 180gr FMJ loads I had to hold the top of the rear sight level with the bottom of the front sight blade. I think that would be a good baseline for most semi-auto pistols for anyone trying it for the first time. BTW, leave the 3-5" target circles in your bag and shoot to "hit paper", or even the right area of dirt the first time you shoot at this distance.

Oh, a barricade rest position is helpful too. I used sand bags occasionally too, just so I could concentrate more on trigger control.

------------------
The Glock freak formerly known as Chris...

Page generated in 0.03416 seconds with 8 queries