View Single Post
Old August 9, 2013, 10:43 PM   #20
Sevens

Let me put that trigger thing another way.

I bought my nine year old daughter a Ruger SR-22. We don't get to shoot nearly as often as I'd like, but we do gun handling exercises often. I am elated and on cloud nine with her safe handling -- she never seems to make any of the common errors. Finger straight as an arrow off that trigger until she's taking aim & preparing to fire. Muzzle discipline better than most anyone you watch at a public range. Anyway, to my point. She's extremely proud of this Ruger SR-22 as it belongs to her, even though I obviously keep care of it. Any time she finds that I have a "gun" friend she's not met, she asks me if "I have shown them her pistol" It's a genuine pride of ownership thing going on.

Last time to the range was last Sunday. She put 30 rounds through her little SR-22. Single action only for the first round -- there's no possible way she'd ever succeed at pulling that DA trigger. Even with the SA, she doesn't have a lot of strength.

So... we put HER pistol down for a bit and I put my '52 Colt Challenger in her hands. You know a Woodsman trigger, yes? Well, this is the kind of trigger that a small person with little strength can manage -FAR- easier while she is also taking on the task of coming up with a sight picture and holding a steady pair of shooting hands. That Colt trigger makes shooting for her -SO- much easier than the trigger on her own pistol that she loves so much.

I could see the conflict right in her face. She just loves her pistol, because it is hers. But she could tell in one magazine (actually half -- I'm loading them to five rounds) that she' can shoot this Colt easier... because of the trigger.

I'm not expecting the kind of trigger that was shipped on a 1952 Colt on a mostly-plastic Ruger that was built in 2012. But you could HALF that stock trigger and still not be down to where the Colt is.

Page generated in 0.03643 seconds with 8 queries