View Single Post
Old February 23, 2013, 03:23 PM   #12
Auto426

Quote:
Being a Noob to AR's I figured a 16" barrel would be a good place to start. The main reason I'm interested in the bull barrel is (correct me if I'm wrong) they hold up longer? The bull barrel kind of jumped out and for lack of a better term, was easy on the eyes.
If you want the mot life out of your barrel, then get one that's chrome lined. The chrome lining is harder than the steel the barrel is made out of, and it will greatly extend the life of a barrel. The thickness or contour of the barrel doesn't determine it's life. Thicker barrels help dissipate heat and are good for bench rest type shooters who are trying to squeeze absolute accuracy out their guns, since groups start to open as a barrel heats up.

One other thing to consider is that sticking a heavy bull barrel out front is going to throw off the balance of the rifle, making it front heavy. A standard government profile barrel gives an AR a nice balance point right around the front of the magwell, which is what most shooters prefer.

Quote:
Auto426,

I agree about going with the middy gas system. I'll have to check out those hand guards. What's your recommendation on chambers? I was thinking about going with the Wylde.
I'd stick with a standard 5.56 chamber. Wylde chambers work well with unlined stainless match barrels for shooting small groups in paper, but on a carbine that's meant to be more of a general purpose rifle, a standard government profile 1/7 chrome lined barrel is the best bet. It will allow you to shoot the most common and least expensive types of 5.56 ammo and will give you accuracy that's plenty good enough for its intended use.

Page generated in 0.03497 seconds with 8 queries