Thread: 223 Load
View Single Post
Old July 3, 2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Hansam

Over the years I've taken more than a few deer with a .223. For that matter I took them with an AR in .223 with a 20" barrel, a 16" barrel and with a Norinco AK chambered in .223 with a 16" barrel.

All of those times I used commercially loaded Federal Powershok 64gr. SP ammo.

All deer taken with a .223 however were within 50 yards and shots were all placed either in the vitals or the neck. The furthest I can recall any of those deer running after being shot was no more than another MAYBE 50 yards... and that bugger fell into 4 ft of water in the swamp I shot him in... and I nearly lost him till I brought out the dogs to track him. I had walked past that spot several times and never saw him because the water was dark and he was completely covered.

I wouldn't say that the .223 isn't a good cartridge for the job. I'd say you just have to pick your shots and be sure of your shot placement. If you decide to go with commercially loaded ammo try what I mentioned - Federal Powershok 64gr. SP. Otherwise load the heaviest SP bonded bullet you can find for maximum penetration before the bullet separates.

Page generated in 0.02918 seconds with 8 queries