View Single Post
Old January 23, 2001, 10:18 PM   #8
Gewehr98

Heck, if you run the pressures up high enough, you could probably beat many belted case magnums. But the handloader isn't concerned with the liability issues that Big Green has, nor is he legally bound by SAAMI pressure guidelines.

See what I'm getting at here? As I've read and re-read my loading manuals from the last ten or so years, I've noticed a good portion of the loads have tapered off to sedate levels, even in the zippier rounds. Somebody's afraid of a Kb! happening somewhere, that's a given. Many of us, including myself, wish to return cartridge performance back to it's pre-liability lawyer days. The .280/7mm Remington Express is another victim of that consciousness.

Truthfully, an Oehler strain gauge would be a darned useful item to have when playing with uncharted loads that are over published maximums. I had no choice, there wasn't much load data available for my 6.5-06, and I do exceed .264 Winchester Magnum velocities fairly easily with the smaller -06 case, using compressed loads of H4831SC. I have some comfort in knowing my pressures are no higher than the .25-06. However, if I ever blow the darned thing up, I know I won't be suing Remington or Winchester, it was my fault I overpressured the round. The .280 Remington, hot-rodded to beat the 7mm Remington Magnum, sounds like quite a performer, but I'd be awfully darned careful when you're playing out in that territory on the far side of 52,000 CUP.

Page generated in 0.02223 seconds with 8 queries