View Single Post
Old June 18, 2010, 11:25 AM   #7
KyJim

As I read the newspaper article, the guy was convicted or pled guilty in March of other charges relating to an attack on the boy and his mother. He was given probation for this. So why probation? Hard to say. Could be there were no injuries and little actual proof other than a reluctant witness (the mother). Just guessing. I would think his probation will be revoked.

He was sentenced to six months for contempt for swearing at the judge during arraignment on his latest charges. Six months is the maximum a judge can give a person for contempt in Kentucky without bringing in a jury to hear it. And, if I'm not wrong, that means he won't get credit for the six months of time served while waiting trial. That may not make a big difference, but it is something.

The charges he now faces are serious. First degree assault is a Class B felony (10 to 20). Possession of a handgun by a felon is a Class C felony (5 to 10). The others are Class D felonies (1 to 5 years). They can run consecutively (one after the other) though there are some outer limits on these. He might also be eligible for treatment as a persistent felony offender under which his sentences could be further enhanced.

Page generated in 0.03037 seconds with 8 queries