View Single Post
Old December 1, 2012, 12:47 PM   #33
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac
LockedBreach...Excellent reply (post #24)...I've saved your dissertation on .40 cal. pistols to my "don't delete" gun info files. Your's was a well written, knowledgeable response to the OP's question.

For the most part, I'm a 1911 guy (with two buying aberrations into Sig's (P2290) and Glock(G-19)), so when I get questions on other more modern design pistols, I generally send the questioners to TFL. Your post 'bout sums up most of the leading candidates in .40. How 'bout doing one on 9mm's in carry/compact sizing?

Best Regards, Rod
Thanks for the kind words, Rod. I don't consider myself as well-informed or experienced with the smaller 9mms as I am with .40 S&W handguns, but I know enough about enough of them that it might be helpful. The biggest challenge is that there are just so darn many carry/compact nines these days. We really are spoiled for choice. I'll try to run through a few of the big players, and I'll stick closer to single-stack dedicated carry guns rather than double-stack backup pistols like the Ruger SR9c, Smith & Wesson M&P 9c, HK P2000SK, Sig Sauer P224, and Glock 26 (though all of those are excellent in their own ways except perhaps for the not-sure-what-it-wants-to be P224). I will note that like the earlier list, this list is informed by my prejudices and knowledge. Undoubtedly I'll miss a few great guns, and other popular guns (like the Taurus PT709 Slim) I may omit intentionally because I do not believe in the quality of the brand.

Again, disclaimer. Before you get mad at me, feel free to disagree or add your favorite, but I make no claim that this list is objective or correct for everyone. These are just my impressions having shot all of the below but the 938, Shield, and Solo.

Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - 9mm version
Est. Cost $399-425

Undoubtedly the hot ticket in current compact nines, in my opinion, and the only one I cannot get my hands on to try no matter how much I attempt to. By all accounts, it's one of the best-considered carry nines ever, with a well-thought out design that is tough, smooth-edged, and light. A possible downside for some users might be the manual safety, which is an optional feature on the larger M&P guns but a default option here. The trigger on the Shield is generally agreed to be the best of any M&P gun, though rumors abound that Smith & Wesson is installing this superior trigger in the larger guns.

Walther PPS - 9mm version
Est. Cost $500-550

The ruler of the roost before the Shield, in my estimation. The PPS is an odd-looking but very well-made pistol that is very similar to the Shield's. It is perhaps slightly more difficult to conceal, but the lack of a safety is a plus in the eyes of some and the trigger is well-designed and easy to shoot well. Like the Sheld's, it's a short take-up, quick-reset, Glock-style trigger. The European style magazine release that is a hinged switch in the trigger guard rather than a push-button may be an issue for some. The quality is excellent, but I'm not sure it's $100 better. Nevertheless, an excellent option.

Kahr Arms CM9/PM9
Est. Cost $350-400 (CM9); $550-600 (PM9)

These little guys are popular. the CM9 and PM9 are essentially the same gun. Kahr reduced manufacturing cost of the CM9 by using simpler rollmarks on the slide, using metal-injection molding (MIM) parts (the 1911-lover's bane) on the slide release and a few other parts, if memory serves, and less smoothing/dehorning of the slide was done. The triggers on these are long, but smooth and light, sort of like the Walther P99 Anti-Stress trigger's first pull, or a Beretta Type-C PX4 (Constant Action).

Ruger LC9
Est. Cost $350-400

The successor to the .380 LCP and a very popular little gun. Very smooth and contoured, probably the easiest of these to carry, light and snagless. In a few important aspects it differs from the LCP. First, it has a safety, which like the M&P Shield's might be enough to dissuade some users. Second, it has a sort-of-obnoxious loaded chamber indicator (though users who like the SR-series pistols won't mind it, it's the same LCI). Most troubling, the LC9 has been plagued by rare and infrequent but narratively consistent reports of a catastrophic flaw - extractors that blow out. While this happens in a very small number of LC9s, the fact that it is an error reported with at least decent regularity has been enough to stop me from buying my beloved LCP an older sibling.

Sig Sauer P938
Est. Cost $600-700

As is the Sig Sauer norm, these are expensive but well-made. A successor to the .380 P238 (just like the LC9 is the successor to the LCP in Ruger's lineup), it carries cocked-and-locked like a 1911 without a grip safety, meaning it needs a solid-quality holster. The initial batch of these are in the definite teething phase, and I've read regular reports of failures to eject, load, stovepiping, etc. I'm not too worried as a number of early guns - even the P238 this guy is based on - had those troubles at first. If the problems persist a year from now, I'll consign this design to my personal dustbin, but until then it's a svelte, sexy 1911-like pocket piece I am going to keep watching.

Beretta Nano - 9mm version
Est. Cost $380-450

Beretta's answer to the slim-nines. I'm a big Beretta fan, so my feelings on this one are mixed. The quality is absolutely there, with well-machined parts and some cool design features like an utterly snagless exterior (even without a protruding slide release, which will be a problem for some users) and a modular chassis that lets you swap out the frame for different colored ones or a new one if yours is damaged. No external safety and a Glock-like trigger that is crisp, but a bit heavy. Troubling initial reports of bad function with "weaker" rounds like the 115-grain Wal-Mart creampuff rounds, the same kind that have been encountered with the Kimber Solo. This is caused by the guns being designed to function well and comfortably with combat-hotness loads like 124 +p. Nevertheless, I consider the inability to reliably function with Wally World ammo unforgivable, and will wait for these teething issues to be ironed out. Also, the bore axis is a bit high and the grip is a bit short, making it have a bit more flip than other pocket nines. In sum, I really want to like the Nano, and I believe Beretta will iron out the function issues. Also, for the cost it's a steal for the Beretta brand name, just like the Shield - and M&P series as a whole - is a steal for the Smith & Wesson one. All told, though, it's not the slim-nine for me.

Kimber Solo Carry
Est. Cost $700-800

This exorbitantly priced but beautiful slim-nine is one of the best on the market for smoothness, quality, and concealability...too bad it's haunted by the same issue all Kimbers are haunted by - a fantastic gun if it gets properly quality controlled, a nightmare if it does not. I have heard the same weak-ammo failure reports on this as I did about the Nano, and even a few tales of the manual safety falling off of the gun. Also, Kimber says they only want you using premium defensive ammo it, which is laughable. I don't have the burnable money to spent $400 testing a gun and $50 a month practice. I expect few too. The beautiful design of the Solo make me want it, but the expense, poor Kimber warranty (much worse than Smith's or Ruger's, especially), and error reports lead me away from it.

Sig Sauer P290
Est. Price $500-600

The P290 has just been re-released in a new version with restrike capability, and comes in two-tone variety like most Sigs. It's an oddly shaped, sorta-clunky, short-gripped pocket-nine, and lacks the smooth lines and natural presentment of some of the others like the Shield, PPS, and LC9. It makes up a lot of ground by having consistently excellent reports of reliability.

The same disclaimer as above. I am no expert, these are informed by my opinions. I have shot all but the Solo, the Shield, and the Sig 938.

Last edited by LockedBreech; December 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.03213 seconds with 8 queries