View Single Post
Old January 2, 2006, 07:21 PM   #6
BigJakeJ1s

As with most equipment choices, it is always good to look at options above and below what you are considering.

I'd look at other presses that are just as capable, but a lot less money. The Lee classic cast press, with hornady LNL bushings, can be almost as convenient as a turret, and at a lot less cost. Those same bushings can be used in any press that can use 1-1/4x12 dies (they come with a reducer to take 7/8-12 dies, which is replaced with the LNL adapter). The Hornady LNL press, the rcbs rockchucker, the lee classic cast, and the redding big boss and ultramag all accept the LNL adapter. The redding boss does not.

Another option for quick die changes in a non-turret press is the forster coax.

Spent primer handling is much better on the lee classic & classic turret, the redding ultramag & T7, and the forster coax than on most other presses. These presses all capture the spent primer/debris in the ram, and route it through a hose to a waste container of your choice.

Lee's newest turret press, the classic cast turret, also looks really good, built on the classic cast platform/ram. I'd stay away from their other presses, except perhaps the hand press for some operations.

At the other end of the cost spectrum, I'd look at progressive presses that can be used turret style. Models from Dillon, Hornady, and RCBS are all capable of being used one round at a time like a turret press, with utmost attention paid to each operation on each round. But they can also run fully progressively, to crank out a bunch of pistol/plinking ammo.

Andy

Page generated in 0.02657 seconds with 8 queries