View Single Post
Old December 3, 2018, 04:49 AM   #77
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsog View Post
Quote:
What we need is a coordinated, national effort. The statistics should list incidents, and then include an exhaustive examination of what federal, state, and local laws, statutes, ordinances, and regulations applied that were NOT cited, charged, and prosecuted.
I think this is something the NRA could compile and it might be very useful. Simply ask for volunteers at the local NRA shooting clubs to look up local ordinances and go down to the courthouse for a records check.

The local clubs submit the information and it is sent to the NRA corporate.
In order for any information or data to be useful, I think the process is going to have to be a wee bit more structured than "volunteers looking up ordinances & doing a records check," if I may understate the matter a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilson452
I was wondering how many times a gun charge is dropped by a DA in exchange for a guilty plea on another offense. I can't always blame the DA for it, as in most districts they are under stress to end a case as cheaply as possible.
I suspect the answer is "regularly," particularly in states in which the gun charge is difficult to prove. In that case, it's the "throwaway charge," used for bargaining. For example, AR has the charge of Carrying a Weapon, which requires the prosecution to prove an intent to use the weapon unlawfully against a person. That's going to be more difficult than something like "Possession of a Defaced Firearm." If my defendant has CAW, Possession, Paraphernalia, and Resisting, the CAW is a bargaining chip. If he doesn't take my plea offer, we go to trial on everything.

Page generated in 0.02694 seconds with 8 queries