View Single Post
Old April 12, 2013, 11:08 PM   #7
DarthNul

Update:

I haven't shot the gun (since getting the work done) yet, but I did take a close look at the ramp and clearly my local smith did do the mod. It's not just a polishing job.

The rounds still stuck after the mod because the center of the bullet nose was feeding directly into the front edge of the ramp instead of into the surface of the ramp.

Then my local smith tuned two of the mags by opening up the feed lips just at the front, to angle the noses of the rounds slightly higher. This directs the noses of the rounds into the surface of the ramp.

I just thought it might be easier to bring the entire mag (and the bullet noses with it) up a tad so there's one fix instead "one fix per mag". Right now it's not a big deal to tune the rest of my mags but I tend to collect mags over time so there's no telling how many I could end up with...

The snow hasn't stopped yet but I am still hoping to test both "tuned mags hanging from the mag latch" and "untuned mags shoved all the way up by hand" sometime this weekend before moving forward.

BTW: Sig says the ramp angle of the old design is 54 degrees and the new design is 52. I don't know if that's how many degrees from vertical or horizontal so I don't know know if the new design is steeper or more shallow. The link provided earlier in the this thread shows side by side pics of old and new style ramps, but what I'd really like to see is side by side pics of a stock old ramp and a modded old ramp.

Page generated in 0.03245 seconds with 8 queries