View Single Post
Old July 30, 2011, 05:54 AM   #13
jason_iowa

My understanding is that most cougar attacks on humans are made by juveniles and most of them are directed towards children. Elderly or injured cougars are also responsible for a number of attacks as they are looking for easy prey.
Honestly I'm kind of a tree hugger and when I'm in the wild I try to stay out of the way of the wildlife. Make noise, talk, sing whatever the cat that hears ya and evades you is the best kind. I always wear a backpack when hiking even if I don't really need it like others said an attack is likely to come from behind and I want the backpack to take the brunt of the initial attack. Secondly I always carry a big stick. Many land predators are wary of humans carrying things. Works well with unfriendly dogs also. A cougar with a missing eye or broken limb is as good as dead in the wild and they will avoid injury if at all possible. I always carry a side arm for the 2 and 4 legged predators. If a cougar displays hostility towards me ill shoot to kill not to scare, scared beasts are more dangerous then dead ones. Same goes for the 2 legged kind.

All that being said the only wild animal that has ever attacked me was a squirrel and he was defeated by a rolled up towel snapped at him. I was on the way to the pool. Also had the occasional acorn thrown my way by the furry tailed rats most of them got off easy though...

Page generated in 0.03469 seconds with 8 queries