View Single Post
Old December 12, 2008, 09:01 PM   #1
INGunGuy

Hercules Unique Powder

I recently aquired a bunch of Hercules Unique powder. This powder is in the 35-40 year old range. It has never had the seal broken, and was stored in military dry ammo cans. Here is what I am loading:

.40 S/W
Started loading with this recipe:

165gr TCFM Magnus bullet
CCI Small Pistol Primer #500
5.0gr Bullseye powder

All worked great, shot great, not too hot, good groups. I ran out of the Bullseye powder and opened a can of the Hercules Unique powder.

New Recipe

165gr TCFM Magnus Bullet
CCI Small Pistol Primer #500
5.5gr Hercules Unique powder

Well as soon as I threw the first charge something did not look correct. The case was just about full of powder. I use a RCBS auto powder measure and I had the weight EXACTLY 5.5gr I threw 10 charges and weighed all 10 and they were all EXACTLY 5.5gr if I try and seat the bullet, it looks like it will be a compressed powder charge. Now maybe I am just being overly-cautious, but something doesnt look correct .

Well I guess I need to know if the OLD Hercules Unique powder and the new Allient Unique powder use the same charges?

Just to make sure my scales were functioning correctly I pulled the bullet from a round that had the Bullseye powder and the case was maybe 1/3 full and I weighed the charge and it was 5.0gr on the nose.

Can someone enlighten me as I dont want to have to give up all this wonderful powder I just came into...

INGunGuy
Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government.

Page generated in 0.02485 seconds with 8 queries