Thread: First Deer
View Single Post
Old December 8, 2018, 06:53 PM   #1
pkevinb

First Deer

I got my first deer last Saturday. I haven't hunted in 25 years and decided to get my license this year. I wanted to get out for small game but every time I had the chance the weather was bad.

I got a ground blind and used satellite maps to find what I thought were good places to set up and the first two times out I saw deer but one was behind heavy brush and the other were doe's the day before doe came in.

I got out set the blind up and settled in around 5:30 and around 8:00 am out came an 8 point. I couldn't see the points at first because it head was down but when it came up and I knew he was legal I took the shot. I thought I missed the deer because I was shaking so bad and sat there for a few minutes and then thought I better go and check to see just in case I hit him. The deer jumped and I thought it ran off but I walked over and there he was. He jumped and went about 20 feet and was down.

Then came the part I didn't quite think through. I watched a video on YouTube on how to field dress the deer and I did pretty good but my brother had to come out and help me finish. Thank goodness he was available to help drag it out because I wouldn't have been able to do it myself.

I learned a few things. Deer just don't seem to know you are there in a blind and a lot of trigger time makes the shooting automatic. I also learned that I need a way to drag the deer out on my own and I need to practice shooting off hand and from the position I will be seated inside the blind. I also found that all of the deer I saw were between 50 and 75 yds. away so I need to practice shooting at closer distances. I'm pretty happy with my shot placement for how badly I was shaking. It was just in front and a little high of the right shoulder but it went down quickly so I was happy.

I also learned that there must be quite a few people out there that can't shoot straight because I kept hearing multiple shots from the same area/person. Now I can't wait for next year

Page generated in 0.02156 seconds with 8 queries