View Single Post
Old January 29, 2020, 04:23 PM   #18
Scorch

Quote:
Define "nice".
Aye, there's the rub! I get customers who say "nice" and mean "cheap". Others who say "nice" and mean "I just have to figure out how to hide the bill from my wife".
Quote:
Ok. Blueprinted action. Thats worth $75
Not even close. I charge $175 for blueprinting, takes about 2 hours to go through an action and true it up. And your friend who keeps a lathe set up for it is doing you a huge favor by charging you so little. Or, of course, he's just in it as a hobby, in which case it doesn't matter what he charges anyway.
Quote:
Bell and Carlson is a nice hunting stock.
Again, we are getting into definitions of "nice". B&C does not make a nice stock, IMO. "Nice" to me involves a wood stock with a century of growth in a windy environment and lots of figure. To others it means polyester resin and an aluminum bedding block. Either way, B&C makes stocks from junk to jewels, so choose wisely.

Hooligan1's list of how to build a custom rifle is pretty good. First decide what you want, then put it together in your mind, then find the best smith to put it together in real life.

But back on topic, if you want a nice rifle, the Remington Custom Shop can make it happen, but it won't be any nicer than another skilled craftsman would turn out. But, it does come with the Custom Shop name on it, so if you were to decide to sell it you can get an extra few $. I used to have a Remington 700 from the Custom Shop, and it was very nice.

Page generated in 0.03353 seconds with 8 queries