View Single Post
Old February 13, 2013, 12:38 PM   #1
jimpeel

The weapon of choice employed again?

I started a thread in the old L&P forum back in August of 2001 about how fire seems to be the new weapon of choice being employed against barricaded suspects.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79131

In the Dorner standoff yesterday officers can be heard calling for the torching of the cabin that Dorner had holed up in.

The police can be heard yelling "Burn that <distorted> out!"

All of the above went out live, including the language, over channel 9 KCAL Los Angeles as their reporter Carter Evans was covering the event. That audio may be heard HERE.

In recorded police radio transmissions they speak of starting a fire with "the burner" and "We're going to go forward with the plan with the burner." That conversation starts at 1:00 into the audio at THIS RECORDING. At 1:28 they state "The burner is deployed and we have a fire." This is confirmed by a female voice which states "Copy 7, burner's deployed and we have a fire."

So it seems that their tactical vehicle, with which they were tearing down the walls of the house, has a flame thrower.

I am torn on this because while fire is the best weapon against continued threat of harm to the good guys -- conversely, it was used to great effect during the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising by the bad guys -- I don't like it being used as the first line of defense. This continued militarization of our police and these types of tactics are disturbing.

I'll let the assemblage hash this one out. My opinion is stated.

As an aside, the sheriff at 2:49 with his finger on the trigger of what appears to be a Mini 14 is demonstrably poor firearms handling.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey

Last edited by Tom Servo; February 13, 2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Edited redacted profanity in quotes

Page generated in 0.02344 seconds with 8 queries