View Single Post
Old January 22, 2012, 11:17 PM   #33
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlewolf2
I was charged with a felony but was negotiated that it would be knocked down to a misdemeanor once I completed my probation. So it was a felony for 5 years and once my probation was completed it was reduced to a misdemeanor.

I applied for a hand gun permit at the with a sheriffs department. They could not allow the permit to go through due to federal restrictions. The state would not limit it, however the sheriff will not allow something that is illegal on a federal level. This was explained in the rejection letter I received after I applied for the permit. I would quote it but this was done several years ago and probably threw it away. But this was done many years after it was knocked down to a misdemeanor. I made sure that the state did have it officially knocked down to a misdemeanor with the department of corrections and the of bureau criminal apprehension so there was no confusion between state and fed.
You were not rejected by the Federal government. You were rejected by a county sheriff's department, which cited (incorrectly, it would seem) an alleged Federal law. Further, did you show the sheriff's office the dcument you received showing that your civil rights had been restored? Do you still have that document? If not, get a new copy, because it's important.

IMHO, instead of wasting a lot of time on a petition that isn't going to accomplish anything because you're asking the Federal BATFE to do something they can't do -- restore your rights under a state conviction, and rights that have already BEEN restored on top of it. I think you would get a lot farther if you would do two things:

(1) Pay an attorney to research ALL state records to verify that they show your conviction was classified as a misdemeanor;

(2) Reapply for a permit and, if you are rejected, keep the letter and pay the attorney to appeal the rejection on the grounds that, per the Federal GCA, you are NOT a prohibited person once your rights were restored.

Page generated in 0.02555 seconds with 8 queries