Thread: 270 win
View Single Post
Old August 19, 2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Mike / Tx

First off I LOVE those Solid Bases, and have many a box sitting in my closet. As for the newer powders out preforming the older ones, well I don't know about that.

I have been playing with some of the Ramshot Hunter in mine with the 130gr weights, but that is about it. I load the 150's over 50grs of H4350 for a modest super accurate hunting load out of my Rem 700. I also load the 130's over 46.5grs of IMR-3031 for a modest super accurate load as well.

I have burned up plenty of the older reccomended loads with good results as well, but for the most part I use this particular rifle for a loaner or when I simply am out looking for hogs. Either of the lower loads listed above are within 4" at 300yds so in most cases Mr Piggie is simply raost on the hoof when I run across them. THey will also very much so ruin a deers day as well and have on many occaisions.

My suggestion is to simply load for accuracy first and formost. You will get plenty of velocity form that longer barrel, so that won't be a big issue. If you ahve the accuracy and those bullets moving along at anywhere near 2850'ish fps you will have a great hunting load for sure.

Page generated in 0.02800 seconds with 8 queries