View Single Post
Old January 18, 2013, 04:36 PM   #7
db4570

I appreciate the suggestions, and I like the fact that the full power of the USPS could come down on the seller if he tried to pull something. (An old friend got into hot water with the USPS years ago and they put a real hurt on him.)

But I can't help but assume a good scammer is going to operate the same way no matter what the form of currency. It is still money going to someone who may or may not be who they say they are, at an address that may or may not be legit. I get the impression these scammers set up fake addresses they use for this sort of thing. If so, then how is a USPS MO any different than a personal check? With either, if they are in possession of a check or MO with the same name on it as their ID, and it is as good as cash.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, though. Maybe they only do anonymous Western Union scams.

I hate to be paranoid, but Craigslist and all these other online classifieds always say NEVER do a long-distance deal, and then you hear all the stories.

Just trying to think like a scammer, here.... (yuck). I am interested in learning more about other ways this could go bad.

David

Page generated in 0.03270 seconds with 8 queries