View Single Post
Old November 18, 2008, 12:22 PM   #1
barryicide

Help a newbie: C&R and collecting

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get into firearms - mostly for plinking. I love history and historical weapons are pretty cool to me. Basically, I'm trying to find out if I need a C&R for my purposes:

I don't plan on amassing a huge arsenal of historical weapons, total I envision about a half dozen; where should I start looking if I don't have a C&R? Pawn shops? Gun shows? I don't need a C&R to buy at those places as long as I have a FOID, correct?

How much of a hassle is it to get a C&R? I have seen some really good deals on neat historical weapons (including the Nagant revolver it looks like some people on here have) for low prices online. I do most of my shopping online, so figure it would only be a natural step forward to shop for firearms online.

Of those who collect historical firearms, do you mostly just display/collect them or do you shoot with them? Firearms are (usually) pretty simple mechanisms, so as long as they are maintained well I would assume they still shoot well. I can't imagine myself doing much shooting, but I would like to be able to take a prized historical piece to the range and let it do its thing.

Page generated in 0.03449 seconds with 8 queries