View Single Post
Old July 30, 2016, 08:47 AM   #12
kraigwy

You do what you have to do.

I got into LE in '74. We didn't have enough cops. We didn't have (then) back up all the time. We didn't have dogs.

You got an alarm or found a broken window/door, you investigated it. You searched the building alone because there was any one to assist you. You didn't have dogs.

I kept a little mechanic's mirror in my pocket. I used it to peek around corners. You go quiet and slow. You left your shotgun in the car because it was in the way.

This is one reason I firmly believe learning to shoot one handed is critical. You seldom have two hands free. You always have something in the other hand, a flashlight, a mirror, door knob, something.

When entering a doorway or hall way, you get low, not standing up.

I've searched thousands of buildings in my 20 years. Caught lots of bandits and lived to retire.

Did some get away? I'm sure they did. No way to tell whether they left before or after I got there.

My pet peeve, learn to shoot with one hand, BOTH HANDS, but one at a time.

Weak hand shooting is every bit as important as strong hand shooting. If you are peeking around the left side on a doorway, or cover, with your gun in your right hand you are going to expose more of your body then if you use the gun in your left hand. Or right, use the gun in the right hand.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03354 seconds with 8 queries