View Single Post
Old July 13, 2010, 07:44 PM   #16
red caddy

I've been working on a plan for something similar down here in SW Florida. At 17 feet above mean sea level, a basement is not going to work for me. But, I do have a 2000 Sq. Ft., poured solid concrete block, shop building behind my 800 Sq. Ft. block, cracker shack, house. (yea, my neighbors refer to it as the "garagemahall", My wife calls it the playroom for the A/typical Racing Garage and Adult Day Care center...)

The plan, so far, is to build a 6' X 8' room against an outside wall, with a shop built, shuffle pin (6 sliding locking bar) vault style door, In swing, for the reasons already mentioned. With a 4", poured in place, reinforced ceiling at 8 feet. (shop has 13 Ft eave height)

The plan is to use half block (4 X 8 X 16) with rebar in every cell, poured solid for 1 short wall and the long wall. The short end, with the door, will be standard 8 X 8 X 16 block, with the door frame ( 4" X 1 1/2 X 1/4" web channel iron ) poured in place.

About half the price of a good double door safe will cover the materials,(~ $1500.00) the labor is cheap, 'specially if I withhold beer and pizza, LOL

Other than the 6 X 8 space is a little small for a storm shelter, 'specially when filled my guns, ammo and reloading stuff, anybody see any weak points in the plan? Thanks, Paul.

Page generated in 0.03732 seconds with 8 queries