View Single Post
Old September 2, 2008, 12:45 PM   #4
azredhawk44

Quote:
Seriously, the flares are probably corrosive. So any use of them would make a messing cleaning necessary.
If I'm in bad enough shape that I need to use a signal flare for someone to come get me, I don't care if my pistol rusts. I'll get a new one if it gets ruined.

Aside from initial load development or function testing, I don't intend to shoot something like this often at all. I'll clean the gun thoroughly each time and that will be the end of it. I'd stick a handful in a ziplock bag in my pack and be done with it.

I just found a book that describes the building of Estes model rocket engines and chemical rocket engines. The motors they describe are 3/4 inch to 2 inch in diameter with a maximum altitude of 7000 feet. They describe using black powder for the propellant, so I could probably substitute some Triple 7 to avoid corrosive problems for the gun.

Obviously, I want about a .425 diameter or so engine (I don't think I even want to engage the rifling on the barrel for fear of damaging the motor), and I want a chemical filler that leaves a tracer-like trail, but with no resulting projectile to come back down and injure someone. Maybe a slight sparkle or burst at peak propellant height, like a firework.

Iron oxide burns red, yes? Magnesium burns white? What burns blue or green?

Page generated in 0.03678 seconds with 8 queries