View Single Post
Old March 31, 2013, 11:19 PM   #21
RC20

Quote:
Hm, I had no idea Army infantry never walked anywhere. I guess all the rifle qualifications I did were just for fun, too, seeing as targets were from 50-300 meters.
An my apologies, I know you guys walk but the shakers and movers think Armored Infantry vs foot. Its been mostly foot in Afghanistan.

With the inability of the M16/M4 to fold the stock, that leaves two ways for a shorter rifle to get in Bradlys, APCs, Hummers and ...... is a Bullpup (not allowed) or a shorter barrel.

Shorter barrel you loose velocity, less effectiveness of the round and well as range.

Agree it works and agreed its the shooter and the tactics first.

My take is that the 6.5 G gives you a more optimum round with very little loss of capacity either in the gun or carrying amount and if its the shooter then effectiveness is indeed multiplied.

I think the foot soldier deserves both a better weapon and cartridge. I would happily give up a B2 or a couple of F-22ss to get that. As we have seen, you can use any airplane as a bomb truck (B52 is still trucking away) but the fight is won by boots on the ground (I follow history, not the papers and that been true since men have been fighting).

I think we could do far better on a cartridge and I know we can do far better on a weapons ergonomics, not just live with what we have.

Worst ergonomics is the AK (can't argue it works), next is the M16/M4 and the best I have handled is the XCR (SCAR included). I am not saying the XCR is the only one, but the layout is right and controls are where they should be as far as intuitive location of the controls and use. Add in a superior round and......

Page generated in 0.02494 seconds with 8 queries