View Single Post
Old October 11, 2011, 06:21 AM   #53
Jeff56

Speaking as a former mailman in a previous century, I can tell you that pepper spray they give you at the USPS is a joke. If you can hit an attacking dog with that little stream of pepper spray you would make Annie Oakley look like Mr. Magoo. You have to hit them either in the nose or in the eyes. Good luck doing that.

I had to shoot a dog that was only partially pit bull once. I shot it with a 12 ga. loaded with buckshot from just a few feet away. It didn't even fall down. It just whimpered. Luckily I had a backup round which did finish it off. Pitbulls can be tough as nails.

Most dogs will back down if you look them right in the eye and intimidate them. Yes I know it is a challenge but it is also an act of dominance and "most" dogs will respond to it. And if you react well an adult human can almost certainly subdue an attacking dog. It will hurt like crazy but it's better than having certain body parts in the clenches of a pit bull (and that is what they will go for). You have to give them an arm to bite. You put your off hand and arm where the dog has to go through it first. The dog will bite that arm if it has the intentions of biting anything. Once he does you raise up his head and grab it by the bottom jaw. You then push away with your weak hand and pull toward with your strong hand. If adrenalin is on your side (and it certainly should be) you can break that dog's jaw and make it a helpless, dying animal. I told you it was going to hurt. You'll have a bunch of stitches and a lot of pain but it's better than being attacked where it really hurts.

If there's more than one dog though you're in trouble. That's why I never walk or ride my ATV without some hardware of some kind. I was chased by a pack of dobermans once. It was a mother and a whole litter of nearly full grown pups. I was just lucky I had room to hit the gas and move on down the road faster than they could chase me. Those dogs could have easily killed me. And getting to your gun quickly is something you really need to practice because without being able to do that you're in trouble with a pack of dogs.

I knew a guy who kept about 25 dogs on his property to protect his "crop" (a real dirt bag who was my wife's cousin's boyfriend for a while) when the census lady came to visit. He wasn't there. She knocked on the door. She was about 90 at the time she died on that porch. Another elderly lady was killed not far from my farm. Dogs in packs are killers. They act completely different if they run in groups of more than just 2. If your dog is running with a group of dogs I would suggest stopping that activity before you end up paying through the nose for a dog attack on someone not to mention what they can do to an innocent person. I've seen pack behavior in just 3 dogs. I will never have more than 2 dogs as a result. Most of the time it isn't a problem but sometimes it is a big problem.

Page generated in 0.03554 seconds with 8 queries