View Single Post
Old July 8, 2011, 08:05 AM   #3
oneounceload

Of the guns on your list, the 1100 has won numerous competitions over the years and the Beretta 391 is THE competition semi auto, especially on the sporting clays fields, where several champions have used it to win the Nationals

Personally, if this is a gun who primary goal is to make clay pigeons into smokeballs, the Beretta wins hands-down. For that model, you'll be looking at used. There is the 3901, sold by wally world, Cabela's and few other places - mechanically the same, but with plastic stock, matte finish, etc., they sell for about $600 new

Barrels shorter than 28 ( and many would argue 30,32,or34") will be a hindrance on the trap, skeet, 5-stand and sporting clay fields due to the poorer swing dynamics.

Gun FIT is critical to target shooting success.

Before you buy, I would continue to try/rent as many types as you can to get a feel for the ones that seem to fit you the best. Unless you are the average sized person they model their dimensions on, there will always be SOME tweaking necessary for a proper fit.

Personally, I would get one gun for HD and one for targets. If you only get one gun total, then it will need to be a compromise gun - it might do OK at both tasks, but it won't allow you to achieve your full potential.

A used 500 or 870 for HD from pawn shops seem to be selling everywhere (except MY area) for about $150

Good luck

Page generated in 0.02700 seconds with 8 queries