View Single Post
Old July 21, 2006, 09:04 PM   #30
GLShooter

I used rice for a long time when I first started shooting IHMSA back in 1976. I used a standard Thumblers Tumbler at that time. It left a nice clean case with a slightly less bright patina. I eventually bought the big Dillon and have been using it for about the past 13 years. I picked up another Dillon last fall along with a 550 press for $50.00 total (I did buy some components and lots of FACTORY loaded pistol/shotgun ammo for another $50 just so I wouldn't feel TOO guilty!! I also picked up an extra Thumblers Tumbler at a swap meet in CA several years ago for $5 but I did have to buy a new barrel for $20.

I started using ground walnut hulls when I went to the Dillon with some additional liquid cleaners. I now use Nu Finish that I get from the auto parts stores to charge the walnut. I did buy some corncob stuff but I tried it on some rifle cases and it tended to build up in the interior. Poor choice of media for those. I found it works well on pistol brass though.

I never tried the rice on the Dillon. I , for some reason, was afraid the vibrating action would break it down too much. I may just fire up that second big Dillon and try it. Rice is even cheaper than walnut hulls from PetSmart so what the heck!!

Greg

Page generated in 0.02058 seconds with 8 queries