View Single Post
Old October 12, 2005, 08:39 AM   #152
Derius_T

Glenn Wrote:

Quote:
Whatever, the gun world likes to talk in absolutes - unfortunately, we know better about behavior. Good people easily do bad things under certain circumstances and vice versa. If people don't want to believe that for reasons of self-image, I really don't care. I talk to the informed reader who might want to know what determines altruism. We have known for a long time that people's introspections really are bad predictors of behavior in many situations.
I understand your point Glenn, I think. You are sort of saying that it's much easier to point to yourself under anonimity on this forum, and announce that you would do this or that every time, because you are morally superior, yet when the SHTF, human nature and self-preservation often cause you to act differently than you think you would. Right?

If so, thats true. I won't deny it. I was only stating that for ME, I honestly believe I would, and have, helped people without a thought for myself. Did I do it for glory or out of an exaggerated sense of self-importance? No. I did it simply because I didn't think about it at all. I saw someone who needed help, was there, and did what I could. Would I risk my life every single time? I'm not sure. I don't really know the answer to that until the situation arises. But I do honestly believe my first instinctive thought in the situation would be to help if at all possible. Call it what you will. I chalk it up to the way I was raised, and the values that were instilled in me all my life.

Page generated in 0.03330 seconds with 8 queries