View Single Post
Old April 20, 2013, 11:59 PM   #14
SVTCobra306

I can give some feedback on the rifles I own that seem to be in your price and preference range:

1. Savage Axis .308 Win: The one rifle I regret buying, I should have put the money toward a better rifle. The stock is too flimsy to handle the punch of a .308, it would be OK for a lower recoil rifle, like a .243 with 75 grain loads, or 22-250 or smaller. It has a host of "problems" that mostly stem from being a cheap rifle, I'll never buy another one. The bolt has a high lift, requiring the scope to be mounted higher than on other rifles, making for strange eye relief, and it's a short action round but long action rifle.. I know this is for reducing production costs, and it's not causing much if any accuracy issue, but it's a lot of extra movement for someone with a muscle memory for a short action.

2. Savage 11 Hunter XP .243 Win: So far I like everything about this rifle but the trigger (it is a non-accutrigger model).. I paid $425 for it brand new at Bass Pro, came with the usual XP package Bushnell Scope, but I already had better glass in hand for it, so the cost of that is factored out for me. I will likely change the trigger and leave the rest of the rifle alone, it is the heavier synthetic stock and shooting it isn't a painful experience like the axis. If you want to upgrade the optics and trigger and want a synthetic stock, this is a pretty good starting point, I would go either .308 or .243 in this rifle or better yet the accutrigger version for 500 yard shooting.

3. Savage 10 Trophy Hunter .22-250 Rem: This is my favorite of the three, it has a wood stock, a nice short bolt, an Accutrigger, and a nice Nikon ProStaff BDC scope. I have seen them anywhere from $550 to $650 depending on seller and caliber, I paid $575 for mine. If you can get one of these in the above mentioned calibers, I think it would be the easiest out-of-the-box no changes shooter for your goals without spending a fortune.

Page generated in 0.02529 seconds with 8 queries