View Single Post
Old April 20, 2013, 10:43 AM   #11
taylorce1

If you like the VT model you found get it but realize it will be unwieldly and cumbersome to hunt with if you want to spot and stalk. However I noticed you are from TX so more than likely you'll be hunting from a stand or blind over food plots or feeders so having a heavy rifle won't bother you. Hunting is usually done in low light conditions and you will find that Bushnell scope on the rifle lacking in that department.

Most varmint rifles can get buy with a cheap scope because you are using them at a range or on a praire dog/woodchuck/rockchuck colony. This is usually done during daylight hours and not the dusk and dawn of big game hunting, or after dark for most pig hunting. So the low light gathering ability and any flaws in the clarity of the optics usually aren't noticed during daylight hours. The Bushnell scope you are getting on that Savage will be the same one sold in blister packs at Dicks, so go find out how much your scope is worth by looking there or at Wal-Mart for another 4-12 power Bushnell scope.

If you do ever plan to work your way out to 1000 yard at the range that scope won't get you there either. You'll run out of adjustmens way before you can get the bullet to 1K, and then I seriously doubt the adjusments will be repeatable if you do try to even adjust it out to 500 yards and back down. To get to 1K you are going to need a scope with repeatable adjusments and preferably a 30mm main tube. You can get there with some 1" main tube scopes and an angled scope base of around 20 MOA.

I'd say if you buy that rifle expect to replace the scope if you want to shoot beyond point blank range by making adjustments and not using Kentucky Wingage. My guess is that the scope you're looking at doesn't have a BDC, Mil-Dot, or MOA reticle to help get long range without using the turrets. So expect to spend another $300-500 to buy a scope that will get you into something basic with repeatable adjustments. Probably another $100 at least for a new base and rings as well. The really good scopes will be closer to $1000+.

Page generated in 0.03676 seconds with 8 queries