View Single Post
Old February 17, 2013, 05:54 PM   #1
snyderiii

9mm luger... new reloader, strange primer marks.

Ok, im brand new to the forum and new to reloading. Got a hornady set for christmas, spent time reading everything I could and finally acquired all the accessories and components I needed. First undertaking was 6.8mm and that didnt turn out too bad.

However, when I read things like "if your crimping" I was a little lost. This didnt imapct me when doing the 6.8 rounds, but when I moved on to 9mm I think I may have screwed up.

After I first seated the rounds I felt maybe I had slightly over expanded the cases because to the touch the rounds had a slight lip. Noooo problem I thought. This what be what the whole crimping thing is about. There is lots of literature, including the Hornady book that came with set, but it explains HOW to crimp but bot why or why not or when or when not you should be crimping.

Anyway, following the die instructions I got the bullet seated and crimped (but maybe what I was doing wasnt crimping afterall, when I say crimp I mean getting rid of the slight lip/flare at the top of the case where the bullet is seated).

So I was focusing on that flare, and when it was gone I didnt realize the bullet had a ring around it. When I got through about half of them I wasnt sure if I should stop or what. So I went out and fired a few and they worked just fine. However, the primer dent looks really odd. Just to make sure I fired a few factory rounds and those dents didnt look odd to me at all.

Basically what I want to know is this: did I just over crimp these rounds or is something else going on.

Thanks for the help for a newbie.

Here are the stats of everything I used and a picture of the suspect strikes. The only thing I can find about this strange dent is that is typicall due to over pressurization. But as you can see from my stats I wasnt up against the edge of the max loads.

Fyi, this occured with two different kinds of bullets which is why there are some doubles listed below.

Caliber: 9mm
Powder: Power pistol - 6.1 gr
Bullet: Berry RN (19355) ; Horn XTP (35540) - 115gr
Case: Starline
Primer: Federal no100
OAL: 1.095 ; 1.067

Page generated in 0.03438 seconds with 8 queries