View Single Post
Old September 23, 2011, 08:36 PM   #1
Devsk

Arisaka Rifle Questions

Greetings all,

Some years ago, my family inherited a Japanese rifle from my grandfather, who was in the navy during WW2. We don't know much about the history of how or when he got it, though. The metal parts are generally rusty and in poor shape, and the sights are missing the fold-out calipers. I took it to a gunsmith on Thursday to have it evaluated and he said it would fire, but he wouldn't recommend it until the barrel was cleaned, the receiver oiled, etc. Also, he told me it used a 7.7x58mm cartridge (which I already suspected) but later told me it was a Type 38. I thought the 99 was the only version to use the 7.7; what are the differences between the 38 and 99 I should know about?

Anyway, he seemed to look in great detail at the receiver, then immediately told me that there should be papers for the weapon from the quartermaster's office. Does that have anything to do with the mum being removed? And what would those "papers" be able to tell me, and who do I contact to get them, or more information about it. I'm primarily interested in finding out when or where my grandfather got it and things of that nature.

Thanks in advance!

Page generated in 0.02010 seconds with 8 queries