View Single Post
Old November 29, 2010, 10:39 AM   #48
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
DNS,do you ever holster a handgun?At some time,your foot or knee or thigh,or the person behind you when you bend over,will be covered.
Yep, I carry and I holster. Yep, things get covered and I have never claimed otherwise. My point is that we like to claim this dogmatic adherence to the 4 gun safety commandments as handed down by Jeff Cooper in stone when he came down from talking to some burning shrubbery on the mountain.

It was Jeff Cooper, not me, who set these up. It was Jeff Cooper and not me who said to never compromise the safety rules. So I fnd it rather amazing that in just two short videos that Jeff Cooper violates all four of his safety rules and that he repeatedly and consistently keeps scanning himself with a gun when he says that this should never be allowed to happen. He is obviously compromising the safety rules and violating the safety rules.

Do you see the ironic problem here? If the gun guru of safety rules is unable to follow his own rules, where does that leave the rest of us mere mortals?

As a regular gun handler, I violate the safety rules as well because and you note, holstering a gun quite often results in me scanning part of my leg. IWB holsters are even worse. You know I once tried a Pager Pal and the notion of scanning my "parts" while drawing really disturbed me.

Quote:
I think the greater point is,all systems of gun handling are fallible.We as humans cannot do anything perfectly every time.
The real problem is not that we can't do anything perfectly every time, but that if we carry a gun in a holster on our hip or we do the canted 45 degree magazine changes that are taught to us by gun professionals, we will violate the safety rules virtually EVERY TIME. We teach people to violate the gun safety rules after we teach them the gun safety rules mantra and tell the students that they must not violate the rules.

However, the institutionality of the problem isn't just with teaching. We have all sorts of gun carrying gear, holsters, slings, etc. that if used properly will result in the violation of gun safety rules.

Think about it. It is really pretty stupid.

Quote:
I am not suggesting we be sloppy or careless,but I will accept muzzle up and away.At the same time,I will do what I can to avoid ND's
Sure you will accept muzzle up and away as you aren't the one that is down range from the muzzle if the gun does discharge. Funny how that works. Basically, you are saying that you are okay with endangering others, especially when you have no direct knowledge of those who you may be endangering. You will endeavor not to let the gun discharge at that time, but at the same time you can't be bothered with keeping the muzzle oriented in a safe direction. It is a fairly hypocritical perspective, don't you think?

Quote:
Lets not get down to only one layer,"Don't worry,it ain't loaded"
Given the hypocrisy of our current system between the rules, gun handling instruction, and gear, I don't know that "Don't worry, it ain't loaded" isn't just as valid to use for gun safety. In your case, you are willing to point the gun up and away while offer the one just one layer..."It's loaded, but I will try not to let it discharge and harm anyone down range." And that is a reality that I am fairly certain we are all guilty of participating in, though most of us probably have never voiced it to ourselves and try not to think about it.

If we were to actually follow the safety rules as dictated and without violating them, then our ability to handle and use firearms would become significantly restricted.

Page generated in 0.02686 seconds with 8 queries