View Single Post
Old March 9, 2010, 01:08 AM   #21
dustycowboy

300 win mag

I have two rifles that I use for hunting and long rang varment and target shooting. I live in CO so I get the advatage of shooting at 5280 but none the less I ave learned the limits of my weapon. I use my true and trusted .243 for hunting alll big game in CO I have taken many elk with this round and knock on wood I have never had to track an animal more than a 100 yards. With that said, I throw 40 rounds + a week varment hunting at no less then 250 yards. The shot placement on an elk at 100-400 yards is easy. Plus meet loss is minimal with a smaller round. I will say this, I just made a cold bore shot on a bunny at 437 yards on Feb 28th 2010 with my .243 that I have more money into than all of my other rifles combined, but past that distance, only God knows where that 95 gr bulet will end up. I use my .300 win mag sporting a Vortex Viper 6-20x50 for my long range shooting "over 450 yards." I used to shoot a 7mm Rem Ultra Mag for that but I found the .300 win mag to be best sueted for my shooting style. I can't tell you why but the recoil fits better. I agree that a 300 kicks like a mule and that you have to dedicate yourself to getting your ass kicked for at least 400-500 rounds just to learn how to shoot it, but when you get it figured out,,,, WOW, what a round. I will still be hunting with my .243 win for elk, deer, and the pronghorn I took in 2009 at 286 yards, but if I want to reach out and touch a p-dog at a grand. I will be using my .300 win mag.

Page generated in 0.03260 seconds with 8 queries