View Single Post
Old August 14, 2009, 05:20 PM   #19
PDBreske

Quote:
With all due respect to the folks who think that a line of text shouldn't have any part in a photo contest, aren't photos like paintings or other works of art that are given names or captions?
None of the photos or works of art that hang in a gallery are entered in a contest. They are for display or sale.

Speaking as someone who has entered a few photography contests (and not just on internet forums), I can say that no contest worthy of the name would allow the artist to sway the judging with some manner of written description accompanying the entry. The photo stands on its own. In fact, a true contest would have the entries posted anonymously, but as I've said before, this would demand far too much effort from the moderators. In the real world, the entries are given a set of display parameters that usually include the size and type of border, how the photo must be mounted, etc. The entries are lined up with no identifying information and the judges make their decision.

I'll say this again: If you want/need to know the make and model of the gun, ask the owner in a PM. Whether the gun was made in America or Britain, purchased in 2003 or 1933, or owned by a dead President of the Senate should have no bearing on your ability to judge a good photograph.

Page generated in 0.02349 seconds with 8 queries