Thread: .380 vs .45 -
View Single Post
Old April 6, 2008, 06:54 PM   #15
Scattergun Bob

A reply about running away

RAHATTO,

Years and years ago one of my firearms mentors forced me to write rules for concealed carry, a lesson I wish others would be forced to do. Over the years I have refined them, borrowing when I found better. I would like to give credit, just can't remember what I pinched form whom!

As a LEO there is a code for concealed carry it differs as a civilian.

Please have a go at rule #3

My Five Rules for CONCEALED Carry

1. My concealed handgun is for protection of life only.

Draw it only in preparation to protect myself or my family from the willful and wanton life-threatening actions of another.

2. Know exactly when I can use my gun.

A predator must have or reasonably appear to have:

the ability to inflict serious bodily harm or death upon me. (He is armed)

the opportunity to inflict serious bodily harm. (distance, body type, position)

his intent indicates that he means to inflict serious bodily harm or death upon me. (mere words are not enough) When all 3 of these element are in place simultaneously, THIS IS A THREAT STIMULUS!
The response to threat stimulus ; zero muzzle, flash sight picture, exercise trigger control, deliver a minimum response.

3 If I can move away safely - THEN RUN
If I force a confrontation I risk the possibility of myself or a family member being killed, criminal liability, arrest. I will flee if I cansafely, fight only as a last resort.
The BEST gunfight that ever was, was the one that never happened!

4 Display my gun, go to jail.

I should expect to be arrested by the police at gunpoint, and be charged with a crime anytime I expose my concealed handgun to another citizen in public! I must continue to perfect a carry method that keeps my pistol reliably hidden from the general public view. Before I deliberately expose my pistol in public, I must ask myself "is this issue worth going to Jail".

5. Don't let my emotions get the best of me.

THIS IS A PROBLEM FOR YOU. If, despite my efforts, I do get into some kind of heated dispute with another while I am armed, never mention, imply, or exhibit my pistol to intimidate. (SEE EVAN'S STUFF, AND READ AGAIN & AGAIN)

To all of those I have browed from, take pity on me, for your words were far better than mine.

Good Luck & Be Safe

Last edited by Scattergun Bob; April 6, 2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Just Stupid

Page generated in 0.02543 seconds with 8 queries