View Single Post
Old August 10, 2002, 11:16 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Pretty neat.

OK, BSA production would put it likely before 1925, or maybe even earlier. I recall reading something about BSA, in the austere 1920s, shutting down the production lines because everyone felt that there would never be another war.

The administrators at BSA, however, were a little more realistic in what the world was all about, and instead of scrapping the machinery to make rilfes, as the Gov't recommended, simply put it in mothballs.

Smart move on their part when it became painfully evident in the 1930s that there was going to be another war, and that Britain was going to need rifles.

Other than that, though, I really don't know much about the Lee-Enfield rifles other than simple basics.

There are a number of good, informative books floating around on the Lees, which you should be able to find at any decent gun show.

I've been looking at getting a WW II surplus No 1 Mk III or Mk III* for some years. I love the muzzle configuration on them, but I've never pulled the trigger, so to speak.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.03536 seconds with 8 queries