View Single Post
Old March 10, 2013, 08:11 AM   #12
wpsdlrg

"Oddly enough, I just opened the October 2012 issue of Handloader magazine and found an article on reloading for the 7.92x57 Mauser.

Both test rifles are K98 Mauser actions - one is a sporter, while the other appears to be a military standard.

One load shown is for 250-grain Woodleigh Weldcore bullets, so it would appear that you can go up to that weight bullet in that action."

Good to know. By the way, simply to clarify, I did use the term "limit" in quotation marks. I certainly was not talking absolutes, but rather, practicality. Perhaps the Woodleigh bullets are made from a softer, denser alloy (and thus heavier for a given diameter and length). Or, perhaps they are intended to be seated really deeply in the cases. Being jacketed, they can be seated deeper without damage, but that is not the best way to get accuracy. I don't know. I'm sure that human ingenuity can solve the issue, one way or another. Nevertheless, I stand by my assertion that one is probably better off all 'round in staying with more "normal" bullet weights for the cartridge, with roughly 200 grains being "best". Just my opinion, though.

Page generated in 0.03023 seconds with 8 queries