View Single Post
Old May 21, 2002, 11:54 PM   #12
Rob Pincus

Training violated? So it ain't so!

I've been through both training doctrines the "it's not your job, establish a perimeter, go home at end of shift" theory and the "pair up, intervene, gain ground" approach. I'm a strong proponent of these three things:

1. Integrating tactical response training for all officers. The minimalist approach to tactics in too many training programs is appaling.

2. Flexibility in doctrine. Every situation is different and every situation is fluid. A General Order stating that the first two officers should enter a building with an active shooter could be just as bad as one stating that patrol units should be limited to establishing a perimeter unless otherwise directed by a supervisor.

3. Realizing that not all police officers are made to enter that building. There are a lot of officers who don't need to be in those situations, but who excel in another area of law enforcement. Personally, I don't want a heart surgeon conducting brain surgery on me just because he showed up first. Let him apply basic medical techniques to try to stabilize me until the professional gets there. My Rule #1 (above) exists in case an LEO needs those skills, not so that every officer should be expected to run into extreme situations.
Rob Pincus is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02931 seconds with 8 queries