View Single Post
Old February 21, 2019, 08:48 AM   #58
ROCK6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ettin
Beats me. I'm certainly not going to hazard an opinion on the limited and unsupported description of the incident you've offered. As I noted multiple times, details matter.
Exactly my point, and details do matter; however, you have an officer using deadly force without knowing all the facts. I can't necessarily fault the officer as I don't know all the facts and he had to make a split decision based on his assessment. My whole point is that incidents like this happen often and to simply shrug the incident away misses an opportunity to address training for both sides. In fact, this case specifically would make a great case-study as I think there were actions the armed guard could have taken as well as the officer to avoid what ultimately happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ettin
What are you trying to say?

The real point is that reaction times are a factor, along with potentially other things. The issue with reaction times is that many folks don't consider them appropriately when trying to assess justification for a particular use of force.
That's the crux. It's not just reaction time to engage, but to assess the situation...always easier said than done. The fact of the matter is that an armed society needs to be part of the law-enforcement decision making process. Equally important, armed citizens need to learn and train on how to avoid facilitating hasty decision making from law enforcement. Incidents like these will happen, the goal of training on both sides would help to mitigate them.

ROCK6

Page generated in 0.02924 seconds with 8 queries